Who we are
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, envisions a society that respects the dignity of every person and safeguards justice for everyone. Vera is committed to securing equal justice, ending mass incarceration, and strengthening families and communities.
- We study problems that impede human dignity and justice.
- We pilot solutions that are at once transformative and achievable.
- We engage diverse communities in informed debate.
- And we harness the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice.
We work with others who share our vision to tackle the most pressing injustices of our day—from mass incarceration, racial disparities, and the loss of public trust in law enforcement to the unmet needs of people who are vulnerable, marginalized, and harmed by crime and violence. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. We hire employees that reflect our values: respect, independence, collaboration, commitment, and race equity. If you want to learn more about life at Vera, click here.
What you'll do
The intern will primarily provide administrative support to Vera’s innovation portfolio. This intern will report to the Vice President of Innovation and New Initiatives. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Research and writing on innovation in nonprofits;
- Support with special projects related to innovation, scaling, and human-centered design.
What qualifications you will need
The spring 2021 intern candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Familiarity with and/or interest in innovation, design thinking, or scaling
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity and social justice
- The ability to work both independently and with others effectively and efficiently.
- Strong writing and communications skills.
The Nitty - Gritty -
- This is a short-term remote internship that will begin in January 2021.
- The intern should be available to work up to 20 hours per week during the spring semester.
- The hourly rate is commensurate with educational background and work or other experience.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Online submission in PDF format (through Vera’s career page) is preferred. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
ATTN: Human Resources / Spring 2021 Internship, Innovation, Executive Department
Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A, Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial jRustice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera, please visit www.vera.org