Who we are
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, envisions a society that respects the dignity of every person and safeguards justice for everyone. Vera is committed to securing equal justice, ending mass incarceration, and strengthening families and communities.
We drive change by:
- Studying problems that impede human dignity and justice.
- Piloting solutions that are at once transformative and achievable.
- Engaging diverse communities in informed debate.
- Harnessing the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice.
We work with others who share our vision to tackle the most pressing injustices of our day—from mass incarceration, racial disparities, and the loss of public trust in law enforcement to the unmet needs of the vulnerable, the marginalized, and those harmed by crime and violence. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace—specifically, we value diverse experiences regarding educational background and justice system contact. We hire employees that reflect our values: respect, independence, collaboration, and commitment.
You can expect to work with a team of amazing people who have tenacity, are creative, scrappy, and are committed to getting the work done. Why? Because our work is urgent, impactful, and more important than ever.
You will have great benefits, and work-life balance. Driving meaningful change is hard work. But we also know that you have a life, places to go, and people to see.
What you’ll do:
As the Operations Coordinator, you will report directly to the Chief Operating and Financial Officer (COFO). The Operations Coordinator will assist with the day-to-day function of the Vera Operations Team which includes People Resources, Information Technology (IT), Finance and Workplace Services. The Coordinator will also be responsible for providing high level executive support to the COFO. The location for this position is Brooklyn, NY.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide ongoing executive support to the COFO including calendar management, maintenance of file system, meeting and event coordination including logistics and preparation of materials and notetaking, making travel arrangements, managing internal and external stakeholder relations, and helping to manage priorities.
- Handle the scheduling for the Audit and Finance and Investment Committee meetings, organizing materials, and taking minutes.
- Provide administrative and clerical support to Operations Leadership Team as needed including taking meeting notes/minutes, scheduling travel, and coordinating meetings.
- Facilitates procurement processes including corresponding directly with Legal Department as well as external vendors/partners.
- Handles invoice submission as well as the COFO’s corporate credit card/reimbursement submittals.
- Supports Operations Team project management infrastructure including project development, documentation, execution, and closeout.
- Works closely with project leads to ensure that projects/activities meet objectives within agreed budgets and timelines.
- Keeps open line of communication with project participants.
- Provides coverage and support for various Operations Team functions such as reception desk and special events support, preparing materials for Vera Leadership Team (VLT) and other meetings.
Who you are
You are a strong communicator and can communicate with internal and external stakeholders at the executive level. You stay organized and proficient at time management, and complete tasks independently and in a timely fashion. You handle challenges well and can switch to different strategies when an effort is unsuccessful.
Skills and Qualifications
- Commitment to Vera’s mission and interest in social justice.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience, and 3-5 years of experience in office or project administration.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative to organize, prioritize and follow through on work assignments.
- Demonstrated accuracy and efficiency in typing, including the ability to prepare documents in a professional and competent manner with minimal editorial changes required prior to distribution.
- Exceptional organizational skills/attention to detail and outstanding project management skills; ability to handle and prioritize multiple time-sensitive projects.
- Ability to create and edit charts, tables, graphs and presentations, using PowerPoint, Word and Excel software with minimal assistance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of administrative filing systems and project administration techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in a team environment and to work efficiently on an independent basis.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience and includes excellent benefits. Vera believes in compensating its staff members at or above market.
How to apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Online submission in PDF format is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: Human Resources / Operations Coordinator
Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A
Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status or current employment status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally
connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera and our work, please visit http://www.vera.org