Who we are
The Vera Institute of Justice is powered by hundreds of advocates, researchers, and activists working to transform the criminal legal and immigration systems until they’re fair for all. Founded in 1961 to advocate for alternatives to money bail in New York City, Vera is now a national organization that partners with impacted communities and government leaders for change. We develop just, antiracist solutions so that money doesn’t determine freedom; fewer people are in jails, prisons, and immigration detention; and everyone is treated with dignity. Vera’s headquarters is in Brooklyn, New York, with offices in Washington, DC, New Orleans, and Los Angeles. Learn more about life at Vera; click here.
What you'll do
The Information Technology Department ensures the stability and integrity of the institutes in-house network infrastructure and services. Reporting to the Head of the Project Management Office and working closely with NY-based IT staff.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with organizational partners to elicit requirements that capture organization needs.
- Clearly articulate and document business requirements.
- Provide project management and change management for projects including the creation of work plans, backlogs, communication and change management plans, running project meetings, creating status reports, and tracking risks, issues, and action items.
- Act as a Product Manager or Product Owner for Agile IT projects.
- Manages ongoing relationship with business partners to improve satisfaction with IT delivery.
- Coordinates project delivery by participating in design reviews and walk-throughs to communicate systems designs and validate proposed solutions.
- Works with vendors to define statements of work, manages relationships, and monitors vendor deliverables to ensure quality and a positive business outcome.
- Understands and recognizes obstacles to achieving business results and ensures that the appropriate mitigating actions are being taken to resolve any impediments.
- Analyze practices and processes with business owners to ensure effective use of Information Technology services and new solutions.
- Participate in the discussion and decisions regarding project methodology, processes and technology solutions.
- Create training materials and lead training delivery.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- An undergraduate or master’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, or related field; or experience in a related field.
- A good understanding of knowledge Management technologies
- Broad IT domain experience in two or more of the following areas IT areas: Applications Development, Architecture, Project Management, or Quality Assurance.
- Previous Agile framework experience acting as a Product Owner providing coaching to business staff for story development.
- Advanced knowledge of Smartsheets.
- Experience with cloud software/service such as AWS (Amazon Web Services).
- Experience with large SharePoint migrations (Intranet and/or other)
- Knowledge of project management principles and methodology.
- Professional and effective written and oral communication skills.
- Able to effectively converse with, listen to, and collaborate with all levels of users to understand their environment and the impact of system changes.
- Self-starter with initiative who can manage multiple tasks and adapt and respond quickly to opportunities for increased and more effective services.
- Able to apply principles, practices, and procedures and complete moderately complex assignments with knowledge of Business Systems Analysis.
- Understanding of policy and the application of policies to Information Technology activities.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience and includes excellent benefits. Vera believes in compensating its staff members at or above market.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Online submission in PDF format is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: People Resources / IT Business Analyst
Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A
Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status or current employment status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.